First and foremost – and frankly speaking – I am no beauty expert. I have neglected my skin more than I have neglected responsibilities in my life. I don’t know which comes first: contour, concealer, or foundation. For the record, I only use concealer. I barely know how to contour. When I first heard of ‘baking’, I honestly thought that means heating makeup inside an oven. I have bathed under the sun without any sunscreen on. I seldom moisturize. If you’ve seen me in person, you will get what I mean. However, I do believe that the best foundation will always be healthy skin. I may not have the credibility to give legitimate skin care advice but I have ghostwritten articles about skin care, so here I am sharing knowledge that I have barely seldom sometimes will use.
1. Steer clear of sunshine between 10 am to 4 pm. The sun’s rays are strongest between 10 am and 4 pm. You may want to use protective gear like a hat or umbrella to block ultraviolet rays. Moreover, a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 is helpful.
2. Stop smoking or don’t start smoking. I have friends who love smoking. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against smokers, I just don’t like smoking. People who are skin-conscious should, too. Smoking narrows the blood vessels in the outermost layer of the skin, thus decreasing blood flow. This, in turn, depletes the skin of oxygen and nutrients that are crucial to skin health. In addition, smoking damages collagen and elastin – fibers that contribute to the skin’s elasticity – thus speeding up the aging process. And lastly, smoking increases the risk of squamous cell skin cancer – halaaaaa kamo.
3. Be kind to your skin, it has feelings too. Figuratively. Don’t forget to take some time to be kind to your skin. Limit bath time. Long exposure to hot showers strip oil from your skin. Use warm water, not hot. Avoid strong soaps. Rather, choose mild cleansers. And when you shave, don’t forget to lubricate your skin (i.e. shaving cream, lotion, gel). Shave in the direction the hair grows, not against it. To top it off, use a moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated.
4. Enjoy a healthy diet. Acne – the very word is repulsive enough. According to research, a diet rich in fish oil helps rejuvenate skin. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. It is also important to steer clear of unhealthy fats and processed carbohydrates. Moreover, drink enough water to keep skin hydrated.
5. Sign up for a monthly skin care regimen. On a personal note, I believe that exfoliation is important. I tried it several times using over the counter products and even through natural means. Based on experience, it is important to exercise caution when exfoliating. When popping a zit or simply removing dead skin cells, it is important to keep all tools, especially your hands, clean. Keeping it on an ‘antiseptic’ level will prevent bacteria from entering pores.
When it comes to an intensive skin care regimen, I highly recommend Skinetics’ Signature Facial with Comedone Extraction along with the other skin care services available at the Facial Center. Ultra White Treatment, Ultra White Facial, DiaGlow for Face, Platinum Peel Radiance, Platinum Melasma Treatment, Crystal Glow Facial, and Acne Surgery are just some of the services offered at Skinetics. Apart from that, Body Treatments such as Body Scrub and Polish, Massage from Ventoza to Shiatsu, Reflexology, Manicure and Pedicure, and Waxing are also available.
Lobby of Skinetics Wellness Center, Festive Walk Parade, Iloilo Business Park
About Skinetics Wellness Center, a medical day spa and skin center. Known for world-class spa equipment and technologies, Skinetics Medical Day Spa and Skin Center is the first of its kind in Iloilo and in the Western Visayas Region. Established in May 2003, Skinetics went beyond from being a spa and facial center. In 2011, Skinetics Wellness Center was opened at the Smallville Complex. The services include a Kid Spa, Hydro-Colonics for Detox, and Cosmetic Surgery. Moreover, a Boutique Hotel is part of the Wellness Center. Another Skinetics Wellness Center branch is also located on the upper floor of the Festive Walk Parade, Iloilo Business Center, Mandurriao, Iloilo. For more information, visit www.skinetics.com.ph or visit a Skinetics Wellness Center near you.